More dumpster diving---sort of!

My dad is a huge fan of wipe new (13 bucks at walmart). He has a jeep patriot that has the black plastic all over the bottom foot of the car. He swears it lasts a year keeping them black.

I've never tried it. My jeep jku had the plastic all over it but I ended up taking it off and replacing with metal because it always looked bad.

Had one guy that "thought" the plastic key turned...!
Nope....and they're 2-3 bucks a piece.. ;)
At first thought it would just pull out a bit then stop. Nope, it comes clear out! Thought I broke it until it dawned on me that it is supposed to be removable.

So I like the look of the old blower. It’s in nice shape Doug. It’s kind of the same vintage as your tractors.

Noel

It is in pretty good shape for what I think may be a 1970's blower, Noel. Like any typical 5 hp Briggs with a Pulse-Jet carb, it takes 3 or 4 pulls to start. It doesn't do well with heavy, wet snow. I imagine it takes bigger brutes that these to handle that stuff. It still did get the November 30th drift right in front of my shop overhead door cleared enough where I could get the MF8E out to start plowing. Threw the snow about 3 feet at a time until I had cleared enough of a spot to get the tractor off of the concrete. Was probably a 4'+ drift. Heavy and wet.

This MTD was built in 2008. Starts on the first pull, and is much lighter and nimble. This weekend it may get a chance to prove itself. 3-6" possible. Last time "they" said that we got 13". I got to clean it up a bit tonight but had some other stuff to do in the house first. Oxidized paint cleaned up like new, plastic parts not so much.

My dad is a huge fan of wipe new (13 bucks at walmart). He has a jeep patriot that has the black plastic all over the bottom foot of the car. He swears it lasts a year keeping them black.

I've never tried it. My jeep jku had the plastic all over it but I ended up taking it off and replacing with metal because it always looked bad.

We have "Armor-all" wipes at work for cleaning the trucks, but they are all newer so I don't know how they work on old plastic. I probably better check into some cleaners like 4getgto or the wipe new product like your Dad uses, Aaron.

I got it cleaned up a bit tonight. Wiped it down with some Penetrol real quick. I use that stuff on the '55 GMC occasionally. It needs it again.

DAC

3-12-20.JPG

I can see the positives on both, but the looks of the Western Auto one would win me over LOL
The old snowblowers were really unique in the way they were thought out and built. Got to give them that. All built somewhat different. Really had men back then with really inventive minds. But they were big, heavy and pretty awkward to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the positives on both, but the looks of the Western Auto one would win me over LOL

I have to agree, Alan, the cool factor is much better on the WA one! Might find out this weekend if the newer one actually throws the snow better though.

The old snowblowers were really unique in the way they were thought out and built. Got to give them that. All built somewhat different. Really had men back then with really inventive minds. But they were big, heavy and pretty awkward to use.

Yes sir, there was variety in design and quality, but most were really built to survive! I had one that really took a MAN to operate too! It was a 36" 10HP Tecumseh Craftsman from the '70's. That thing beat the crap out of me for several years until I decided that I wasn't man enough for that beast any more! The 8HP Briggs that was on my MF8E at the time was getting tired so that Tec went on the tractor. Has one of those 120 volt starters on it too so that is nice. Sold the rest of that Craftsman to a guy for parts. That Tec still starts and runs great! The WA one although a lot smaller reminds me of that old Craftsman construction-wise!

The new gas cap came in today, and screwing that on is about all I got done in the shop tonight.

DAC

This thing got it's first workout today and I do feel it does the job better than the older one and much easier to operate. The snow was 6-10" and very heavy and wet. It would blow that snow 6+ feet away.
DSCN2007.JPG

I lowered it as low as the P.O. had it hitting slush (it was 34F temp) and it worked for a minute or two and started plugging it up. Raised it back up and it still was slipping the blower belt. Come to find out the cable tensioner for the blower drive had slipped. Had already cleared the concrete with it up about a half inch any way so no biggie. Just did about 5 minutes of hand shovel work and it was done!

DSCN2008.JPGDSCN2009.JPG

DAC

Dosent look as good as the older one thou. Gald it worked for ya Doug.

Noel

Thanks! I agree Noel, the older one is much cooler looking! I know around here, if I tried to get 50 bucks out of the old one no one would buy it either. I have 40 invested. I'll probably put it in one of the sheds. Maybe I can figure out how to modify it some to work better.

Adusted the auger cable tighter on the newer one so hopefully the belt won't slip now.

DAC

Back