NTM Rockwell/Delta Table Saw

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I’ve had a really nice Craftsman jobsite TS Carol bought me over 20 years ago. It wasn’t something I would have bought especially at $450. back then but I didn’t want to hurt her feelings by returning it. It’s been very reliable, still runs well, accurate, and even has a lot of miles on it traveling to the job sites. I’m going to retire it and give it to my son.
18220663-F0FC-4A47-BEB4-F86AF170DDEC.jpeg
The NTM saw I bought a little over two years ago from a guy on Market Place for $150. He had a nice little shop and wanted to downsize to a portable Ridgid TS. Even though it runs very well and works like it should I flipped this upside down to get to the mechanics to check things out. It’s very clean with a little surface rust on the inside of the stand. I done a little cleaning and lubricated the gears. I have a matching cast iron 8” side table with it that has never been used. It also came with a 32” right side table. I have several blade inserts, almost new Freud blade, and a new web belt.
3A369CE0-D443-4442-A55F-0B628FF79600.jpeg
I removed the old saw and cabinet along with the frame it sit on. I have to notch my out feed work table so the motor passes under and rotates as I tilt the saw blade.
0DFE4A38-E3C9-41E1-BD17-29C2B6F54D5A.jpeg2D30EA77-7AD4-47CA-A6A4-635FD1B6C4E6.jpegD8F48800-FA2D-4F33-89D7-E5E060421A99.jpeg

I had two choices to raise the saw around 3” or drop my table about the same. Because the work table has had wheels and I never used them I chose to remove the wheels drop the table and pad it to be even with the saw table.
1A75A96C-ECF6-4AB1-A253-40136FB76DE4.jpeg
I set the saw up with the long side table for awhile to see how I like it. So far I’ve adapted to it real well.
42DF3AB9-5B41-44F1-8FB2-BCF44B7163C2.jpegC548914E-DF23-4BAF-96EE-7000F08A4C52.jpeg
It has a lot of space under it so my plan is to put a cabinet under there with a couple of slide out panels to hang blades, inserts, etc. on it with mane a drawer or two. Right now I just need it functional the cabinet can wait.

I bought a heavy duty table saw on a stand about 25 years ago. Don't remember the brand but it was a little over $300. Wired it for 220, is direct belt drive with the link belt. Enclosed the cabinet under the saw and hooked a Shop Smith dust collector up to the it. Really saves a lot of the dut in the room and the courses wood saw chips drop to the floor. Use that with water for floor sweeping when needed.

I remember the old Unisaws we had in wood shop. Best table saws I have ever used.
I have used a few different table saws over the years. Mostly craftsman, from '50s 8" blade, to 80s 10", and different fold up contractors saws.
I always liked dads 10" belt drive (from around 1982) better than the newer direct drive. I've had a couple of my own over the years, I usually find one at an auction or on CL when I have something going then resell when I'm done. They take too much space in between projects to keep around.
I have one again at a neighbor's house, he knew he was not gonna be around for long and told me "it's mine" and I need to get over and get it before his wife finds someone else. I do have 3-4 projects lined up for it, finally opened up a spot in my garage for it then it got cold out..... Lotsa attachments, blades, etc come with.....

I remember the old Unisaws we had in wood shop. Best table saws I have ever used.
I have used a few different table saws over the years. Mostly craftsman, from '50s 8" blade, to 80s 10", and different fold up contractors saws.
I always liked dads 10" belt drive (from around 1982) better than the newer direct drive. I've had a couple of my own over the years, I usually find one at an auction or on CL when I have something going then resell when I'm done. They take too much space in between projects to keep around.
I have one again at a neighbor's house, he knew he was not gonna be around for long and told me "it's mine" and I need to get over and get it before his wife finds someone else. I do have 3-4 projects lined up for it, finally opened up a spot in my garage for it then it got cold out..... Lotsa attachments, blades, etc come with.....
I use to sub contract to a company from North Carolina that would remodel some high end department stores doing cabinet work. They would send up four of the Unisaws for us to use that were built in the 50’s and ran like new ones. I think they go back to the late 30’s. It took three or four guys to move them.

I bought a heavy duty table saw on a stand about 25 years ago. Don't remember the brand but it was a little over $300. Wired it for 220, is direct belt drive with the link belt. Enclosed the cabinet under the saw and hooked a Shop Smith dust collector up to the it. Really saves a lot of the dut in the room and the courses wood saw chips drop to the floor. Use that with water for floor sweeping when needed.
My next wood project is a 2hp dust collector I’ve had about two years sitting in boxes. I’m glad I bought all my pvc pipes and fittings back then because that stuff is three times what I paid now.

Nice looking saw!

I have a craftsman portable. I don’t do any real wood working other than remodel stuff. It’s served me well for my needs. With what you can build you need a good precise saw!

My dad has a heavy built craftsman he bought new in the 90s.

I threw away an old Rockwell delta table saw jointer combo 2 years ago. Best I could find was late 50s/early 60s. It was a very nice saw. it needed some work but was perfect for a restore. I listed that thing on Craigslist and my wife listed it on Facebook for free. I needed it out of my basement and didn’t want to throw it out. No one would come get it.

Looked just like this one

C106151F-42B4-43C3-9D20-E6B2E27EAA3D.png

Nice looking saw!

I have a craftsman portable. I don’t do any real wood working other than remodel stuff. It’s served me well for my needs. With what you can build you need a good precise saw!

My dad has a heavy built craftsman he bought new in the 90s.

I threw away an old Rockwell delta table saw jointer combo 2 years ago. Best I could find was late 50s/early 60s. It was a very nice saw. it needed some work but was perfect for a restore. I listed that thing on Craigslist and my wife listed it on Facebook for free. I needed it out of my basement and didn’t want to throw it out. No one would come get it.

Looked just like this one

View attachment 65827
I would love to have that and restore it. I have both the TS and joiner but not the stand. That was unique back then the same motor operated both tools but it took up a lot of space. My uncle gave me the joiner about 40 years ago and about 20 years ago my neighbor was going to toss the saw out. I set the TS up as a bench top hobby saw to cut scaled lumber for modeling trains and structures. I made a hardwood blade insert and used a thin kerf cordless power saw blade. That little thing cut like butter.

Auction tomorrow has a Shop Smith listed. Has 4" joiner with it so it is an older model. Might try and pick it up for not to much and get it ready to flip later one. I have a Shop Smith Mark V with extension tables, couple sets of turning tools, and a bunch of other attachment stuff. Never cut a broad with it as always went to the TS. Nice tool once you learn how to use it and don't force it to do more than it was intended. 6" joiner is on separate stand, SS power station runs the band saw and the scroll saw is on a bench with separate motor. Turn it on and off with a foot switch.

I would love to have that and restore it. I have both the TS and joiner but not the stand. That was unique back then the same motor operated both tools but it took up a lot of space. My uncle gave me the joiner about 40 years ago and about 20 years ago my neighbor was going to toss the saw out. I set the TS up as a bench top hobby saw to cut scaled lumber for modeling trains and structures. I made a hardwood blade insert and used a thin kerf cordless power saw blade. That little thing cut like butter.

I threw the saw and joiner in the scrap bin at work.

Boy if I had a way to get it to you the stand is still at my dads. He wanted it for a table in the garage but he never did anything with it. Still sitting in the shed!

I threw the saw and joiner in the scrap bin at work.

Boy if I had a way to get it to you the stand is still at my dads. He wanted it for a table in the garage but he never did anything with it. Still sitting in the shed!
Thanks Aaron I would probably never use it because of the space it takes up. Both tools I have are stored away. I’m just partial to the vintage Rockwell/Delta era tools.

The table extension on this saw looks like someone banged the edge or it got wet at one time. The 7/8” table is an 1” thick in this area causing the rip fence to hang up.
93DD9660-1CEE-4F78-B502-5C9A5C2A6EF0.jpeg

I hate this particle board material and was going to just build another one out of MDF but at $65. a sheet I’m going to try and repair it. I took my multi purpose tool and made a cut down the corner but it wasn’t deep enough so I took my Sawzall and made a deeper cut. The saw cut I’m hoping will take enough material out so I can pour some epoxy then press it back to the 7/8” needed.
105080BF-E5FE-4AB4-83C0-F8028415D1C7.jpegF1D02680-B5F0-4B1A-97A1-E4F018B9EC88.jpegA1A54A88-0D54-47B7-BA9E-DF10BCE1892F.jpeg5DD07BF0-ED53-4471-B44D-C70A9ADEFCB9.jpeg

This turned out really well even though the 10 minute epoxy took forever to setup because of the cold weather in the shop.
C1A8B1AC-87B4-4F9B-80E9-D8E3683DC168.jpegDDF20DDA-C4B4-4425-9DD1-93FEF8D93E82.jpeg
My other problem is, I thought the top was just scratched and stained but it’s still got the factory shrink wrap on the top. I started peeling it and it’s going to be a problem. I tried heat but that made it worse. I might try lacquer thinner to remove it later.
58677150-D492-4C4B-AB6E-ADF3B84F7197.jpeg914AC179-A1EE-47E9-BA92-B0E3F6097454.jpeg

I really never liked the location of this switch. I had to bend down to push the start button. I’ve been doing some rewiring and done some changes in my shop so I thought it would be a good time to change this switch.

I made a metal bracket from some flat stock and bolted it underneath to an existing rail bolt. I like it a lot better now.
IMG_9368.jpegIMG_9373.jpeg

Some day I will post a pic of my silly little table saw. It's one of those fold up ones with a Skilsaw mounted in it! Does have a nice kill switch that the operator can bump to shut it off.

Looks like you positioned that switch in a much better position, Jim!

DAC

Back