Pallet Kohler Engines

MNGB

Tractorologist
Last summer I went over Al's a fellow I've bought engines. snowblowers and a number of garden tractors from, to buy an old Allis GT that had a 42 in LH discharge deck that I wanted, while there he said he had a deal for me so I said ok lets look. He has a pallet with 3 Kohler cast iron horizontal shaft engines 1 14 hp K321 2 M16's he knew nothing about them and want scrape price for them . Well you guys know me by now this was a deal I couldn't pass up $50.00 for the three, unloaded them in the shop and slide them out of the way only looked them over quick, the red M16 had no carb or fuel pump, most likely had a gravity fuel system as there is a block off plate over the fuel pump mt hole, had a starter and the oil was a bit low but looked good.
So today though I'd put it on the engine run stand cranked it over it had spark (M series engines have electronic mags) installed a carb connect a fuel hose and squirted a little gas into the carb tried starting it cranked for a bit the fired off but stopped after a couple of revs tried holding the throttle open a bit and it ran and carried on so I adjusted the throttle system so it had some idle setting tried again and it started and ran a little fine tuning on the carb and holding the choke in the open position and it ran pretty good big smile. That's the good part the not so good is it has a stubby 1" long CS PTO, then engine was used in some type of mower and everything was driven off the flywheel

20220624_160953.jpg20220624_161000.jpg

This morning I installed a Rectifier voltage regulator , connected the kill wire to a shut off switch, fabricated a connector link between the carb choke arm and the engine choke assy, turned the switch on set the choke and pushed the starter button and it started right up ran pretty good shutoff switch worked fine tuned the carb and it smoothed out and was running but only 12.7 volts output so I checked the stator output it was good, know that these VR require a good ground I check that and found it wasn't grounding good removed the VR used a small wire wheel and cleaned up the mt area reinstalled the VR started the engine and 14.8V DC let it run for 15 minutes or so shut it down and tried to see if I could loosen the exhaust pipe elbow (wouldn't budge cold) with a larger pipe wrench and a 2 lb ball peen hammer after a few hits on the pipe wrench it started to move, so this afternoon I'll remove it and put a muffler on it for a quieter run

You probably know this but in some applications the driveshaft is driven from the flywheel end of the engine.
Sounds like a nice engine at a great price. Do you have any plans for it?
Yes Chris it has the drive adapter on the flywheel side yet, I think it turned out good sure is starting and running nice now and no plans as of now, I had thought about putting it in the Cae 222 but then I realized this is a wide base engine and won't fit in a Case frame darn

Was only in the shop for 20/25 minutes today started the M16 up it started and ran good let it run for about 15 minutes checked the alternator volts one meter I have said 15.1 and another said 14.6 V DC ( cheap over seas digital meters), Got the exhaust elbow to come loose and turn just about a full turn but it will not pass the governor arm so I'll have to remove the arm to get the elbow out then I'll put a straight pepper can muffler on for a bit, the 16 hp Kohlers have a 1/25 NPT and someone installed a reducer down to 1 inch won't try to get reducer out right now, when I get that done and run it another 15 / 20 minutes I'll call it god for it for the time being and see if the black M16 has any life

Last edited:
The M18 would have been an opposed twin not a v twin. They made the M16 as both a cast iron single cylinder and as a opposed twin--- on which I've heard was really an M18 with a different label.
Same bore and stroke as the M18.
I'd like to find me a cast Iron M16 or two.

The M18 would have been an opposed twin not a v twin. They made the M16 as both a cast iron single cylinder and as a opposed twin--- on which I've heard was really an M18 with a different label.
Same bore and stroke as the M18.
I'd like to find me a cast Iron M16 or two.
Yes I,ve heard that also about the oppose twin 16 one of the mfg wanted a twin 16 hp engine so the M18 was relabeled as a 16 hp

Last edited:
You have to find something to put that in, it’s too nice to sit on a shelf. Have you tried a bigger muffler. I had a pepper shaker on my 16 hp Briggs for awhile until I got my stack. I could tell it had some back pressure and stumbled a little.

You have to find something to put that in, it’s too nice to sit on a shelf. Have you tried a bigger muffler. I had a pepper shaker on my 16 hp Briggs for awhile until I got my stack. I could tell it had some back pressure and stumbled a little.
Yea I just installed that muffler quick because I had it and the 1" adapter that wants to stay in the engine, if I was to run the engine in a tractor it would get a larger one

Gary, what is the difference between the M16 and a K341 ? In the video, blocks look the same, but the tin work is different.

Noel
The M16 is pretty much the same biggest differences is the ignition system they went to electronic magneto the tin work as you noted flywheel of course has magnets and they installed the stupidest starter ever it is mounted using the thru bolts so when removing or installing it you have to tape and hold it together so it doesn't come apart, some had oil safety / alert systems and different throttle choke set up

Messed with the black M16 a little, remove the electric PTO clurch had a couple of surprises 1st turns out this engine has a 1" CS also, I was hoping for a standard 3.5" one, 2nd it has this different PTO adapter bolt I've never anything like it before anyone else ever come across this? Made a connecting link for the choke and installed a temp choke cable, a temp throttle cable and the voltage reg, maybe I'll get ambitious one of these days and pull the starter off the red M16 and install it on this engine and crack it over and check for spark and then see if it will try to start.
Here's a couple of pictures of the PTO adapter bolt

20230116_145328.jpg20230116_145334.jpg20230116_145348.jpg

Back