Simple tube install...

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Did you ever start one thing and end up doing 6 others..?
Brought the Roper in the garage to get it ready for winter. Happen to see a little leak on the sidewall (tubeless) of the tire (loaded with antifreeze). Not bad but obviously won't get better.
No problem I'll put a tube in.#1
Take everything off and notice the axle seal leaking.
Ordered seal. #2
Took the tire off for tube and rim is kinda rusty. Cleaning rim up and now it can use paint. Inside and out. #3.
Can't have one shiny rim painted and put ugly weights back on. #4
Now I'll have one wheel all painted up and other 3 look like crap. So ill be doing those as well. #5, #6,#7. Didnt get that far yet but soon.

So yeah, all I originally was going to do was check oil, check air pressures, done... :rolleyes:

IMG_20211126_055242.jpg

IMG_20211126_055310.jpg

And my new favorite tool. My mini tire hammer.
IMG_20211126_055343.jpg

I do the same thing way too much Bill. I get so frustrated at the end of the day with things that got started but not much finished. I have three tractors that I need the wheels painted but like you I want to do all four on each.

Got bored last weekend. Decided to rotate the tires on the vehicle for better FWD traction as snow will be here shortly. It should of been under 20mins.

1. Taking off the front wheels on each side, Got 3 broken lug studs fused to the lug nuts. errr.
2 lugs on one wheel that only has 5 lugs to begin with.
2. Got the front wheels off.
3. Can't just beat out the old lug stud halves and beat in new ones. It will make the front hubs out-of-round and cause alignment and tire wear issues. errr.
4. Ordered new front hubs. But, noticed the rotor discs were really rusty with the middle vent veins starting to collapse. errrr
5. Ordered new front rotor discs. Please that I chose the Rayspetos Element-3. Don't want to change them again in a year.
6. What was the cause, the 2-piece lug nuts that allowed water in the middle to rust solid on the studs. Spent about 30mins on Rockauto to find the best lug nut solution. $17 for 20 of them. Sure beats $4ea at the box store.
7. Got half of the parts in, now 1 item is delayed till Dec 9th. ugh.
8. Book a new appointment for wheel alignment.

As 4getgto said, when you start something - - - -

Nothing you listed there to effect the alignment.been an alignment guy for 20 years not anymore though.
What kind of car is this? Usually is sacrifice a lug nut with a stack of washers add a little anti seize and an impact gun, draw them right in.

That's the "since I'm here I may as well do this" syndrome!, Bill! Nothing wrong with being more thorough, long as it doesn't take a machine out of service right when you need it!

Looks like a nice Roper! Show a pic of the whole tractor when you can!

DAC
Yea I will.
Just trying to get everything set up that I paint everything at once.
I think the worse thing about painting is smelling like paint. Don't go over well walking in and out of the house..! Really hangs on you.

Here's a before.
IMG_20211126_103807.jpg

Yea I will.
Just trying to get everything set up that I paint everything at once.
I think the worse thing about painting is smelling like paint. Don't go over well walking in and out of the house..! Really hangs on you.

Here's a before.
View attachment 45244
Nice tractor, Bill! Doesn't look like the whole thing needs paint to me. Nothing wrong with smelling like paint, but fixing and prepping can really get time consuming. That's the main reason my tractors look like crap---LOL! Soon as I take one out of service is right when I will need it---LOL!

DAC

Nice tractor, Bill! Doesn't look like the whole thing needs paint to me. Nothing wrong with smelling like paint, but fixing and prepping can really get time consuming. That's the main reason my tractors look like crap---LOL! Soon as I take one out of service is right when I will need it---LOL!

DAC
No I wasn't going to paint the whole thing just spruce up the wheels .
BTW. That's a 40 + year old paint job on it (excluding the hood). Got me a new Craftsman air compressor when I was in my teens and thought I wanted to become a painter..
So much for profession...! .:)

Last edited:
Nice looking tractor Bill. Weights on the front too ? And l like those 4 point hitches. Keeps the blade straight up and down when lifted. What year is it.?

Noel

Hehe, I’ve had my fill of painting in the last 6 months. That’s enough of that.

Nice looking tractor Bill. Weights on the front too ? And l like those 4 point hitches. Keeps the blade straight up and down when lifted. What year is it.?

Noel

Hehe, I’ve had my fill of painting in the last 6 months. That’s enough of that.
I'm guessing its a 1972-73. I'm thinking I bought it in 76. My first bank loan.. ($650). Couldn't afford to much at 18yo. back then . Guy that had it bought it new and traded it in on a JD...

A little story behind this. I remember going to the dealer (Roper) that originally sold it. He told me that the guy that had it beat it death and it was junk and should've bought it. He was just pissed that guy went and bought John Deere instead. So 45 years later....!

Last edited:
Yeah Bill that’s a keeper as is. I think the old original tractors with nice wheels and tires look good. It’s like a car or truck sometimes the wheels and tires can hurt or help. My Simplicity 3415H has one rusty rear wheel and that bothers the crap out of me.

Well Back at it . Getting wheels masked up for paint. One wheel I was fortunate to paint when the tire was off. Other 3 are mounted so they have to be masked (BOTH SIDES)...Takes a while but I'm anal when it comes to making sure they're right. BTW masking sucks....!
2021-12-01_11-42-09_492.jpg 2021-12-01_11-53-43_507.jpg

2021-12-01_11-42-06_074.jpg

Below is a wheel and weights thats finished. This is one that I had to mask as well...(BOTH SIDES).!!!!

2021-12-01_11-47-40_541.jpg

Back