What are you currently working on??

I just got all of the long straight sections and hitch cleaned up.

Found out why this didn't rust so bad over the years, it's heavily coated with lead based paint. Had to setup the air compressor, grind in only one direction and trap all of the white powered lead paint into a collector. Else, it would of been super easy with the power washer to strip it all.
It's everything on the black cart in the photo.

The difficult part is stripping the round shaft like parts from the paint. All the parts in the box.

I'll do 2-coats of primer and then a nice finish coat of the Club Cadet white it once had without the lead.

The carriage bolts I'll price at Menards or the H-D. Too pricey at ACE.

I like the original square nut on the back top. It came off easy after a soak in Deep Creep. Finding an exact replacement will be a chore.
Some progress before all of the rain came.

A bit of sanding and cleaning. Nothing like 40+ years of tarnish and grime. 4 on the right are the best I could do.

20240501_190621 - Copy.jpg

Cleaned a bit, and painted some.

20240501_190636 - Copy.jpg

I may leave the rippers alone. They are creased spring steel. I can't reshape these without an immense amount of heat and anvil working.
The one ripper being wavy was the middle spare. Optionally used on the Brinly chisel plow. The paint is heat treated. Just wash them up in simple green and dry.

20240511_120642.jpg

Recall how NASTY those bolts were and fasteners. Lots of cleanup too. I couldn't restore the washers. I have a bunch of stainless to replace them.
Also the nuts were in very bad shape. I swapped them with ny-locks.

20240511_141437.jpg

The square nut cleaned up remarkably well.

20240511_141725.jpg

At the same time, with some help, restored the CAT-1 / CAT-2 PHD. Will be placing this to sell shortly.
The ITG company made it years ago. And it was also re-badged as a Bush Hog model too. This works up to 60Hp tractors.

What sets this model apart from a majority out there is the gearbox head with the Gleason Coniflex gears. It's the reason why 24Hp up to 60Hp tractors can run with it.

20240512_183016.jpg

Last edited:
I put new rotor and pads on F 150 yesterday. at 78, I sure do handle those big tires like I used to.
I did that on my old crusty 96 Dakota the day before. Not figuring on having that one much longer/ but had to, because Im keeping it past "tomorrow" for sure.....
While up in the air, I saw the wires going to the starter were crispy and had some green showing so I replaced those while I was there. As easy as they snapped off (like twigs especially the "big" wire) I'm really surprised at how that truck has never "not" started for me ....
Though at roughly 2/3 of your age (56) and my upper right arm never "not" hurting anymore I'm wondering how long I can continue to do this kind of work which I still do daily for a living

Last night I did something I haven't done in a good while, I was crashed out cold on the couch by 8:30...

Back